Downeaster Train to Brunswick Starts Nov. 1

Downeaster banner

After two years of refurbishing the train tracks between Portland and Brunswick, the operator of the Downeaster has nailed down the date it will start running trains up here: Nov. 1.

The Amtrak Downeaster will make two round-trips between Boston and Brunswick, stopping at Brunswick Station, which is just minutes by foot from campus. The morning train will arrive at 7:05 a.m., reaching Boston at 10:30 a.m., and the evening train will come in at 5:50 p.m. and reach Boston at 9:15 p.m. One-way fares will cost $30.

Portland-to-Boston trains make five round trips a day. Click here for a complete schedule.

The Downeaster’s operator, Northern New England Passenger Rail Authority, has modernized 30 miles of track, installed 33,000 ties, upgraded 36 crossings and constructed two train platforms between Portland and Brunswick. The project cost roughly $38.8 million and was funded mostly by the American Recovery and Rehabilitation Act. “Expanding service to Freeport and Brunswick … will improve connectivity to mid-coast Maine, increase tourism and continue to stimulate economic development in the region,” Martin Eisenstein, NNEPRA’s board chairman, said in a press release.

Comments

1. So $60 round-trip and I can only stay in Boston till 5 pm?

2. In the future will this train pick up passengers in Portland. I am from NY and would love to fly into Portland and pick up a train to Brunswick.

3. This is a huge improvement. Back in my days (Bowdoin 1989), we had to hike to the Greyhound station at the other end of town, take a bus to Portland, and switch to another bus to Boston.

4. GREAT idea. PRICE is too too much. $20 or $30 round trip would be a much better idea. We should subsidize trains just as we do automobiles, ie roads. This will not get many cars off the street. We need mass transport – – – at a reasonable price. If the price does not come down, few will use this system. I love riding trains all over Europe and England. They are cheap, so they get a lot of riders. We need to use those ideas here in order to get people out of their cars which are a big source of polution, especially with only one person inside.

5. David Henshaw says:

When I came to Bowdoin as a freshman in 1960, the Long Island RR sold me a ticket from Hempstead all the way to Brunswick. They neglected to tell me I had to cross from South Station to North Station in Boston, and were apparently unaware the train had stopped running north of Portland in August. It was a fun taxi ride ($10)

6. Ed Leydon says:

I am delighted there is now train access to Brunswick from Boston and Portland, and it will motivate me to get back to Bowdoin more often.
    If successful, maybe they will add more times to the schedule.
    The fare is not excessive, especially when you consider the discounts of up to 50% for Seniors, Students, Children, Disabled, AAA members and Military.
    The train will be an especially fine alternative in wintry weather or on summer weekends when the roads are congested.
    Lucky current students!