Vintage Word Processing: ‘Click, Clack, Ding! Sigh…’ (New York Times)

Long before the nearly silent taps emanating from the white chicklets of today’s computer keyboards, there were the clicks, clacks and dings (not to mention the curses, when one had to reach yet again for the correction fluid) of the manual typewriter. Could your old Smith-Corona be back in style? “It’s about permanence, not being able to hit delete,” explains one devotee in The New York Times. “You have to have some conviction in your thoughts. And that’s my whole philosophy of typewriters.”

Comments

1. Correction fluid? What’s that? ;)

I had to laugh at this introduction, and the article written by the 30something author.

At the time of typewriters such as that depicted in this Daily Sun intro, there was no correction fluid. There were multiple sheets of paper, separated by carbon paper and special erasers designed to tear holes in the paper (the carbon copies were on much thinner paper than the original document but still had to be corrected) while correcting errors, thus causing you to start all over again.

Correction fluids didn’t come into wide use until the 70s.

Yes, I know I’m dating myself.

Otherwise, a cute article, and shows my Bowdoin attending daughter was way ahead of the typewriter trend.